Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
"First, electric driving is dirt cheap. Electricity is about five times cheaper [PDF] than gasoline. Skeptical? Let’s compare. How much do you spend on fuel to drive 10,000 miles? For a gasoline car, you’ll typically need about 400 gallons, which costs around $1,500. For an electric car, you’ll need about 2,600 kilowatt-hours of juice, which costs around $300. Of course, your results may vary."

Well, my Prius does about 43 average year round with lots of short trips. SO that 10,000 miles of driving would take about 220 gallons.....which lately has cost about $700.

For electricity, it's about 15c/KWH by the time you count everything here in TX...... so that would be $390.

So the annual saving would be less than $320/yr.

the premium for a plug in hybrid would mean at least a 10 year payback period.

I don't get 'free' electricity at work. Most people don't. Besides I'm retired. I drive 100 miles a week around town...and take occasional trips. On those trips, I'd be on gas either way. There would be no advantage to the plug in car then unless you had fast (15 minute) charging stations every so often to recharge my battery or a charging station at the motel...and that wouldn't save much money since the trips are 300=500 miles a day.

I'd have to put in a 220v charging station (likely $300 or $500 for an electrician to do it) plus of course the cost of the charging station piled on top of the premium to just buy the plug in hybrid.

It doesn't make sense. It doesn't pay back.

Worse, it won't be long before states impose a couple hundred a year 'road tax' on electric vehicles. Maybe add $200 or $300 to the annual registration since EVs don't pay road tax. Maybe GPS based.

The 'free' lunch won't last long.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.