Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"Fortunately, I'm not overweight, though I'd like to convert a little flab back to muscle. But the truth is if I lost 50lbs, I'd be bordering double-digits. Fortunately, I am also currently taking fewer units than what DW is currently on, so I should be grateful on that front as well.

And in fact, my fasting blood sugars are not bad. It's just my A1C that was heading in the wrong direction. And yes, I know it can be controlled. I've had good periods of successful management and periods where things started getting out of control. That's the thing about this disease - just when you think you've got a handle on it, it throws you a curve ball.

Fuskie
Who notes the start of the year is always the worst before the deductible kicks in, but it could be worse, because when he was on the healthcare exchange plan a few years ago, he had to choose between prescription coverage and doctor coverage, because his state did not offer a plan that covered both..."

Why does your doctor have you on Toujeo if your blood sugars are not bad? Taking insulin in any
form is said to increase fat storage in cells:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-study-show...

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/the-truth-about-insulin-c...

https://www.fitnessandpower.com/nutrition/how-insulin-works

https://healthexpertguide.com/insulin-impact-fat-burning-wei...

The links tend to consider the issue from different perspectives. However, adding insulin when the
pancreas provides enough to control the blood sugar seems a questionable technique as well as
money spent for little benefit. I am not an expert in these issues and you pay doctors to give
you good advice. So, I would ask the doctor if there are different methods which might help
control blood sugars - i.e. lower the A1C average number. Perhaps speaking to a nutritionist
would help with diet issues. Diet issues do not mean a person is overweight - just that the
food selections might be changed somewhat to change the blood chemistry.

Howie52
I had stomach and esophagus valve problems that dropped my weight down to 150LBs at the end of
last year. After surgery and problems with surgery, the problems appear to have been resolved.
My weight has gone back to 175 Lbs or so - and my blood sugars are not in control as well as
I would like. I hope to return to exercising again soon. Diet, exercise, food selection, portion
size, meal timing all impact blood sugars and the interactions are complex. I was given
insulin while in the hospital whenever blood sugars went over 150 - but other when in hospital,
I have kept my diabetes under control at various times with glimepiride, metformin, januvia
(another expensive one) and exercise over 25 years. The pills have been reduced to one
januvia and one metformin in the AM and one metformin in the PM. When the doctor says I can
return to exercise and a low-carb diet, I hope to see the blood sugars under better control -
but right now I can only wait and see what is said.

Good luck with yours.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.