Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
"From what I understand, you have been taking 4% of the 2000 year value all this time?"

Actually I've taken what I needed to live comfortably. During the first 8 years I had only investment income so I drew, on average, 5%. The plan was to reduce withdrawals to 3% beginning this year when SS would cover about 40% of my needs. Over time the lower withdrawals would make up for the larger ones in the early year. I actually took only 2.85% this year.

My annual income needs haven't changed much with the exception of health insurance, which seems to go up about 14% every year. I don't expect to take anymore from investments in 2009 than I did in 2008. It's just that with my portfolio down so much the percentage will be back up around 4%. In dollar terms I'll need less from investments than I took in my first year of retirement.

I have two things which will help me in the next few years. First, in less than 2 years I'll go on Medicare. Not only will the premiums for Medicare, a supplement, and drug coverage be significantly lower than what I now pay for private insurance, but my risk of large out-of-pocket expenses will drop sharply. And in 4 years I'll pay off a small low-interest mortgage which will cut my cash needs by $3000.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.