No. of Recommendations: 1
"Goofy paints a nice utopian future - retrained truckers merrily skipping along as they stevedore a ship, or paint an elevator." rainphakir

My dad's grandfather was a stevedore on the Mississippi River after he ran away from the farmer he'd been given to when he was a boy. His parents had like 13 kids and they were too poor to take care of them. The Farmer sent my great great grandfather to town to get a plow blade sharpened and he threw it in a pond and kept going. Someplace in Central Illinois. He walked to the Mississippi river and got a job loading and unloading boats going up and down the river.

He made it to New Orleans when he was 21 years old where he broke his leg. A kind lady took care of him while his leg mended and that's when and where he learned how to read and write. She taught him using the Bible. This must have been way back in the late 1800's? My dad told me this story.

By the way he made it all the way back to Minnesota where he got both his legs crushed and amputated in a logging accident and then during the depression he made and sold sauerkraut in quart jars for a nickel a jar. He pulled himself around on a little 4 wheel cart that he made himself. I'm guessing no worker's compensation back then?

Art
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.