Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"gotta admit that's the right metric but why on earth look for banks started after 2001?? To me, anyone interested in starting a bank right now is interested in personal wealth and prob ain't sharing."

Well, my thinking was that a bank during the startup phase doesn't look very attractive to most investors. They lose money, equity slowly disappears. But as the bank ramps up, it becomes successful and the stock price rises to a full value.

I can take any number of banks and look at all the details during each phase of the startup cycle to get a good sense for what a succesful (and unsuccessful) startup bank looks like. If I can find a new bank where I have confidence that it is ramping up very well, but the stock price is low, then I can make money. This can be tricky because while the bank is ramping up, it's losing equity.

The problem that I see is that community banks seem to have a loyal group of investors and they don't run and panic when the bank loses money during the first year or two. I was hoping to find lots of choices to invest in, but I haven't found them yet. The problem with perhaps finding a single good investment out of 430 potential investments is that the odds become higher that there's something wrong with that one bank that I'm not seeing. I don't like scraping the bottom of the barrel.

DeliLama
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.