No. of Recommendations: 9
"Hard to tell where the Boomers come in here. They weren't privates or lieutenants in 1945. They were born after that war. And during the Vietnam War, they were (conveniently) of draftable age, and many were in fact drafted. And while some of them burned their draft card and/or went to Canada, for the most part the Anti-War Movement was generally popular among all groups of Americans, and was not the property of Boomers.

culcha "

I am eternally grateful for the anti-war protestors of the 1960's and early 1970's. I'm not anti
military, especially in regards to the boots on the ground soldiers, if our country sends them into harms way then they deserve our full support, not like what the Vietnam era soldiers dealt with.
But I am almost willing to bet that if the anti-war protestors hadn't raised hell, we would have been involved in that quagmire for many more years than we were, and they would have come calling for me just like they got my oldest brother. There would probably be no American wars if the people in charge had to put themselves or their family members in harms way ( all due respect to people like McCain, who could have evaded service but did not ).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.