Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"he said that you could not file that way unless you were legally separated for at least six months. So I guess my question is is that true? "

No, that is not true. If you are married you have the choice of filing taxes jointly or separately. You don't have to be separated. Where'd he get that baloney?
You did right to fire this accountant.
Married filing separately you have to both itemize or both take standard deduction; there are a myriad of picky little things. If you think it might be in your favor to do it that way by all means get a tax software program and go through the interview carefully. You can file either way that you owe less taxes, as long as you make the calculations correctly.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.