Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"Heck, I'm a year or two younger than you, and I remember five & dimes and the like…in the NYC burbs we had Woolworth, Newberry, Kresge…my father sold housewares to them.

I remember having my gas pumped for me, oil checked, windshield washed, tire pressure checked if you asked, up to around 1980 IIRC."

If you live in NJ or OR, they still pump your gas...by law.....but I doubt they do the windshield and there is no need to check the oil.

As I kid, I remember getting gas at 'full service' stations...but by the time I had a car, at least in NY state, it was pump your own.....and I put Sunoco 190 into the 11 year old VW bug....a couple gallons at a time.....lowest price I remember was 27c/gal....but I was making all of $1.10/hr part time in the EE department. That summer I made about $3/hr which was great pay for the 10 week summer gig.

We had a Five and Dime store 5 miles from the summer place..maybe saw it a few times during the summer and we might have gone in it..

Yeah, my mom didn't get a dryer till I was 18...so things hung out on the line or in the basement. I couldn't wait to get 'permanent press' shirts and pants and never ironed anything myself. I had a small iron but I used it to make grilled cheese sandwiches. You wrapped sandwich in aluminum foil, put iron on top, and it would melt the cheese. Wouldn't brown the bread though.

I got a dryer 3 years later when I got my washer. The only thing that gets sun dried here are towels and jeans..... and some shirts hang in the bathroom since they can't go through dryer (plastic appliques/designs and such that 'melt' in a dryer...

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.