No. of Recommendations: 1
"*Hoping for a balance transfer offer is not a solid plan."

<sigh.....>

You are absolutely correct and your post has a lot of good info. You may be underestimating the level at which I am backed into a corner I do need to "hope" for a BT that improves my situation once the 0% rate jumps. I'm not holding my breath, just hoping. It is very likely I will have to shuffle that card to the top when some usuary rate kicks in. That is the real plan. That is the reality. I'm trying to think positive. Hopelessness is paralyzing.

"Do you have a small amount of money -- $1,000 or so, maybe put away in case of really dire emergencies?"

I'm new here Thypeace. I've been taking a better look around and I'm starting to realize that there are a a lot of very rich people on this site. I'm seeing high incomes, millionaires, and for the most part people for whom money is no object. They also seem to have very good habits, work ethic, history, decision making, intelligence, etc so I'm not saying they came by anything easily. I'm only pointing out that...there seems to be a certain amount of "out of touch" with the reality of someone as strapped as me. You, et al, have been super helpful and kind and I get the sense that you all genuinely care. Respectfully, I'll point out that $1000 is a very VERY large amount of money to me and my family. I need to stick around and submerge myself in this great group and learn everything I can even though I don't really fit in.

All, I don't wish to resist, push back, or ignore things like "you need a budget" and emergency funds and such. I DO need to somehow carve out some breathing room first. A budget sounds awesome, but those are for people who have more money than month. When I read things like "don't forget, your roof or furnace won't last forever and that isn't an emergency-- you need to plan for that in your budget" I realize that a budget can only point out failure/futility. I need hope and I have to deal with reality currently. I'm trying. This debt is my emergency right now.

Positivity: We have health insurance. I have contributed to a retirement fund for many years. It isn't a ton of money, but it has trickled for a while. We aren't hungry and we have a roof. Yesterday we ate black eyed peas made from dry stock and it was/is delicious. Poor folk solace.

I am very grateful for the advice I am receiving!
Walstib
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.