Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I am over 59 1/2. I would like to witdraw money from my 401k to purchase a house. It will
become my primary home. How can I do this and minimize my tax liability?

If you are 65 or more try a Form 4972 Lump Sum Distribution. Depending on the amount to withdraw it might be lower than your normal tax bracket. You have to take it all, however, not just part. ed

Couldn't he do a partial distribution by first rolling it over into an IRA, and then requesting the needed funds?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.