Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
"I could have purchased say 400 AKAM, let it go from $30 to $32 and cash out with a safety net of $800 (or maybe cash out 300 of the shares for a $600 gain, then let the other 100 run with a newer, looser, stop/loss under my intital buy in.

What I'm getting at Joe is how did you learn money managment?"

Rather than a matter of money management, it's a simple matter of mathematics. Taking your above example, if indications are that a one day uppy is more of a certainty (like heading into the day's close at or near ID high), than one of two, three, or four days duration, then I am more likely go long with a larger purchase... and if the numbers do go in my favor and I reach my target, get out as planned at the best possible time the next day.

It's not that different from dating. If your goal is to bring the desired results in one date, you pour on the charm, go for champagne instead of beer, filet mignon instead of hotdogs, and a limo ride instead of the go-cart at the amusement park. If that means you don't have enough left for a second date, what the hell, you cashed in on the first: the classic hit and run. If on the other hand, your aim is a long term (or at least longer) relationship, your gestures (and spending) would be tamer as well as more gradual in leading to whatever your ultimate goals are. A daytrader or short term trader is like a bachelor or laundry detergent: he works fast and leaves no ring.

~aj
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.