Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
"I don't want a CEO that can tell a story. I want a CEO who can execute."

Telling a story is part of execution. Gotta let your company, partners, investors know who you are, what you do, what you plan to do, what your obstacles are and make it all clear, concise, authentic, purposeful, compelling and inspiring enough to lead the troops into battle. And then of course, you have to execute. And when your company runs into trouble you have be detailed, specific and reassuring, not issue vague press releases that instill uncertainty, sow confusion and wipe out billions in market cap.

I will not respond further. I just had to address idea that there's anything negative about good corporate communication/storytelling. And leadership is part of the narrative though difficult to effectively quantify. More art than science. But it's not about being a spinmeister, hype, charisma or huckstering. The ideal CEO is actually low key, humble and even borders on invisible. Iacocca specifically cited by Jim Collins in Good to Great as a poor example of leadership. Reed Hastings is far better - laid out his vision clearly, simply - post movies/tv, gain 100s of millions of subs. And he executed flawlessly on his narrative for two decades and counting.

Green is a great CEO because he is passionate about his industry, consistent, measured, works his living behind off to promote his vision for the company and industry as a whole, is building out a global workforce, working hard to make ad-tech a part of university curriculums and makes a powerful case for why TTD will work in China (he brings money in.) And he sold his last ad-tech company to Microsoft. His authenticity as a thought leader in advertising and elite communication skills give his stock a premium valuation. That's a good thing. I prefer a founder-led company that is run by a guy who built it from the ground up to address a problem he's passionate about. Yuan, Prince, Kurtz all fit this description. Bixby does not. Again, Bixby may end up being long home run. Time will tell. But he's a VC who helped Bergman build the company and he's untested as CEO of a large public tech company. So he deserves greater scrutiny at this time.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.