Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
"I got a voter ID card a couple of weeks after I filled in my drivers license paperwork. I didn't realize I had registered to vote and serve on jury duty as well, but there you go. The only problem was that I was not a citizen at the time! Being a good alien I corrected the problem and reregistered once I became a citizen. For some unknown reason I seem to be permanently exempt from Jury Duty. I choose not to fix this.. Just an example of how the good state of TX manages things. "

Just renewed my Driver License. Had to do it 'in person' this year - every now and then, and I guess for seniors at some point, you gotta show up, pass vision test. Also needed to do Real ID bit.

On the form, to get a Real ID - required by TX by fall 2021, you need to provide your city of birth, your parents names, and show a birth certificate or valid passport. They prefer the birth certificate. Obviously that tells them if you are a citizen.

There's also a box to check 'register to vote' on the form. However, when you sign the form, and a 'notary' notarizes the signature - the clerk - you would be lying if you are not eligible to 'register to vote' and you checked the box. Did you check that box?

Registering to vote also gets you on the jury duty list - but if you are over 75, you can opt out - they'll never call you for a jury, either - if you do show up for jury duty.

with the COVID restrictions in place, it's a hassle doing the renewal bit now.....limited capacity and long waits/lines at places around major cities. No fun. They gotta take your pic, get your signature and now get your two thumbprints.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.