No. of Recommendations: 0
"I have a Denon surround sound amplifier (Does anyone make surround sound any more? Seems like a gimmick to me."

Gimmick???

To each his own. I listen to music from 5.1 recordings on SACDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. Movie tracts usually 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby or DTS. Even with the 5.1 tracks the AVR has options which can place sounds in all 9 of my speakers.

I have 7 speakers at ear level plus R & L front Heights, so 9 speakers plus a sub-woofer. Great for music and movies. That's the limit for my 6 year old Denon 4250CI. The new X8500H has amps for 13 channels plus external outputs for 2 additional channels with an added 2 channel amp.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-set... basically how my 7 floor speakers are positioned plus the two on the front wall about 7 feet off the floor.

Sounds move around as they might in real life, depends on how the sound engineers do their job...

No idea why some of your discs don't play...

Stay safe everyone!

Regards, Ken
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.