No. of Recommendations: 0
"I have a higher stock allocation than Jack Bogle, but the psychological component describes me pretty well. I undripped my stocks and bonds in October 2017 and have been building up my cash allocation leading up to my retirement. Every time the markets rocket upward, my port rises by about half as much as the markets and I wish I had more equities. Every time the markets slump, my port falls by about half as much as the markets and I wish I had accumulated more cash. "

Greed is what does a lot of investors in.....they go whole hog into equities when the market is climbing , climbing....... and fail to unload when the market is falling, falling....then unload at the bottom of a dip........

Greed does a lot of folks into serious trouble....and an unwillingness to take a 'loss'......

My IRA is 50/50 and I'm quite happy with what it has done. Haven't had the 11% gains.....but sleep well at night.....and the bonds/REITS/GNMAs spin off income all the time. Same for the dividend payers......

Going to be an interesting year...... trimmed the stocks a bit last summer to replenish the cash account that funds the RMDs so don't have to sell anything for at least 8 months......the interest/dividends pay 2/3rds the RMD so just keep a small percentage in the 'cash' part of the IRA.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.