Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"I meant low trailing-12-month PE relative to trailing 5-year earnings growth."

Dividend adjusted. I don't mean to ask you to run screens for me. I just thought that you might have seen it somewhere since PEG is a popular metric. I realize that many people use forward, estimated, dividend adjusted 5-year EPS growth, but other people use trailing dividend adjusted 5-year EPS growth as analysts' 5-year EPS growth estimates are notoriously poor. SI Pro gives data for both definitions, as well as data for non-dividend adjusted EPS growth, both trailing and estimated. The definition I meant was

PE/(EPS Dil Cont Growth 5yr + yield), called pe_to_dg5f in SI Pro. Using forward, estimated, dividend adjusted growth SI Pro calls it pe_to_dg5e

Using pe_to_dg5f in Jamie's Screen Builder doesn't improve the CAGR over just using market cap > 1000, at least for the period 2003-2017:

Years = 2003-2017
Starting month = January
Holding period = 12 months

screen, CAGR, CAGR of S&P 500
mktcap > 1000, 12, 10
pe_to_dg5f < 1, 12, 10
mktcap > 1000 and pe_to_dg5f < 1, 12, 10
pe bottom 10%, 12, 10
mkt cap > 1000 and pe bottom 10%, 13, 10
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.