No. of Recommendations: 0
"I normally don't care about a month's performance..."

I don't know about you, but my screens underperformed in bull, bear for over ten years already. My MI has only beaten the S&P only two or three times over the past ten. I doubt I'm the only one to see this sort of underperformance, judging by the decreasing number of posts per week.

"The BTC blockchain is too slow and expensive (even with hacks like Lightning)..."

>>>>TOTALLY UNTRUE.

From: https://medium.com/meetbitfury/using-the-lightning-network-v...

"One of the ways to enable more transactions, without sacrificing security, is the use of payment channels like the Lightning Network.

Using the Lightning Network, people will be able to send bitcoin transactions to each other on a second layer above the Bitcoin Blockchain. The specific details of their transactions will not be recorded individually on the Bitcoin Blockchain. However, key details and cryptographic confirmations of the transaction amounts will be recorded on the Bitcoin Blockchain. This means these users still benefit from the longevity and security of the Bitcoin Blockchain while being able to send and receive payments much faster."

"...the increasing levels of competition between Lightning Network nodes (the people/entities who would process transactions) would drive down fees on the network to close to zero.

As the network continues to grow, many of these smaller transactions that take place on the blockchain can be offloaded to the Lightning Network, thereby freeing up space and demand on the blockchain. This means that the Lightning Network might be able to handle thousands, if not millions, of transactions before a single transaction has been broadcasted to the Bitcoin Blockchain."

" If BTC was such a great currency, Facebook would just use it as is, but they're not, they're developing their own."

Companies (or banking conglomerates banding together such as the one JP Morgan wants to do) like that have an ulterior motive. They want to have some sort of centralized control over their own crypto, like many of the other cryptos out there, such as XRP. The internet was invented by the US military. If one site gets nuked, the command system would still be there to retaliate effectively. BTC is decentralized. It is controlled by no one. Even if you gain control of 51% of the network and make yourself "rich" by changing all the previous transactions, it would be self defeating. You'd make BTC worthless, causing you to lose all that money and power to control the network in the first place.

Decentralization is critical- who *really* controls your money, you or your bank?

DoesMIWork
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.