No. of Recommendations: 3
"I think this is more likely the correct scenario. If you think we dont have an affect on certain small cap stocks, then look at the LMS chart. Pay particular attention to the volume starting about the beginning of July, which is about when LMS entered the rankings. There is a definate volume spike every Friday and a smaller spike every Monday."

I've noticed similar spikes, and think that we are pushing some of the smaller cap stocks around. However, some of the factors that push stocks on to our screens may also be bringing them on to the radar of the "big boys". They aren't using our exact screens, but many are certainly considering PEG ratios RS and market cap in their own stock picking.

I noticed that CMX spiked up when it came on the Peg 13 screen a couple months back. However, I watched some of the trading (boring day at work), and it was being traded in blocks that seemed a little too large for individuals.

As far as "the bright side" of LMS, it all depends on when you buy and when you sell. Like a lot of other folks, I saw a 50% profit evaporate for August, but I ended up 6% for the month. That's 72% annualized, and the stock stayed on my screen. So I happily sold some NEWP to rebalance, and will keep holding LMS until it drops off.

BTW, I didn't see anybody screaming bloody murder about the volatility in NEWP last month : Þ We only complain and question when the volatility is *down*. When a stock like NEWP spikes 50%, nobody asks too many questions. We're too busy bragging to our friends or heading out to a nice restaurant to celebrate our good fortune. I will confess to doing a bit of both. Human nature, I guess.

ohok

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.