No. of Recommendations: 0
"I took advantage of Sony's offer a couple of years ago for free float in buying our 36 XBR. We paid it off two weeks ahead of the deadline just in case there was some snafu. The float was nice, but you do have to be careful. I think the payoff deadline was continually in the back of my thoughts."

Seeing as how I have to take a special walk to the mailbox to send in a big credit card bill (below zero and icy)....

For those of us who use credit to delay payment, cut down on payment expenses (checks, stamps), and for convenience and ease of keeping track, the zero-interest if paid off on time thing is great. But you do have to be vigilant about bill paying and you do have to have the money to pay the bills.

It's again frustrating to watch my in-laws, who fear credit cards, create extra work by not understanding how to use them for convenience. We've had to take them on extra trips to the bank (or I've had to get cash and deposit checks written to me) and they've cancelled their previous (only) credit card, with the idea of getting one from their new bank, meaning they can't buy anything without a check, so they have to keep more money in their zero-interest checking account, instead of the money-market. They also had such a low maximum on their one card, they couldn't cover payment for the mover, so they were holding onto a huge cashier's check for a week, since they didn't know when the mover would arrive, needless to say a lot more dangerous than a credit card.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.