Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
"I will be turning 80 myself in the next week or so. Our main source of income is the RMD from my IRA, and my IRA as of yesterday is 67% equities, (50% a variety of ETFs, including last year's hit ARK funds, only 17% individual stocks). I keep cash (Money Market funds) sufficient to cover the next four years of RMDs. "

I'm a bit puzzled by 4 years worth of RMDs in cash. Likely getting 0.5% or less interest .....

I'm 75. My IRA is about 50/50 with bond funds (lots of GNMA and corp bonds, some TIPS, some high yield), REITS, ) and SP500 and whole market funds.

The interest and dividends spin off currently 25% of my RMD. Used to be about 35%. Once a year, I sell 'something' to make up the next 12 months of withdrawals (RMD).

With the stock market up - I've had to sell a bit more each year as the value on Dec 31 has significantly increased over the past couple years. Of course, the value keeps rising each year the market plows ahead another 13-15%.

I have a CD now with a good 2 year's worth of living expenses (after SS and RMD). Had a couple but with 0.7% interest rates, moved them to my non-IRA account to collect dividends and bond interest.

Whatever rocks your boat.

Between my RMD now, my SS, a teeny weeny pension...... I don't need much more income to live very comfy, but should be spending another 50%, or my heirs and Uncle Sam will......

t
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.