Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"I would suggest folks TRY a place before finally settling there. We did that, and came to be happy with our choice.

Vermonter "

One of the reasons God invented the Conestoga wagon - after inventing horses, donkeys and
oxen and allowing horses and donkeys sufficient time to play.

Howie52

Move as your heart - or loved one - requires.

Or not.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Lists of "best of" and "worst of" tend to be a function of the chambers of
commerce. You find the things you and your significant other like in an area
and life can be a pleasure.
Finding things you or your significant other don't like and life can be miserable.

I have lived in a few of the lower listed states and enjoyed living in them. Course
visiting locales can be enough to get the enjoyment at times.
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Vermont was rated 3rd worst state for retirees in this article."

It's pretty bad if you have a lot of assets and income.

Weather is not that great 8 months a year either.....

Other than that, it's a nice quiet, often quaint, place to retire to......if you don't have to get to work every day through the winter weather.

Great place for those that love skiing and snow mobiling and cross country skiing, mountain climbing, etc.

t.
If you're out in the woods without cable TV or a sewer hookup, they might not even find you to tax you.

intercst
"If you're out in the woods without cable TV or a sewer hookup, they might not even find you to tax you.

intercst "

Now I am really shocked.
You are questioning the ability of government to do the one thing that
governments have routinely shown the ability to do with the greatest efficiency!

Howie52
I was thinking - just before running out too a doctor's appointment - about
what is really important about an area that makes it attractive to folks.
Most things tend to be just require you to adjust or adapt.
But some things are more important - family and friends I would put high on the
list. Weather might be important - DW seems to need real seasonal change and I
know some folks who just cannot deal with humidity. When we lived in Erie,Pa the
area was known to have few sunny days and some folks had troubles with that impact.
I read many folks want high-quality doctors around - although how they figure
quality versus quantity seems hard to fathom.
I personally like having walking and hiking trails available - as well as access
to hockey and baseball leagues (minor league is just fine and dandy). Book stores and
libraries are important - museums are nice as well.

So what is on the "critical" list for y'all?

Howie52
intercst:"If you're out in the woods without cable TV or a sewer hookup, they might not even find you to tax you"

New England is pretty good at land records. If you 'own' anything, they'll get you.

On the other hand, if you are only a part year resident and manage to keep your tax residence in FL or TX or somewhere else, and manage to keep your TX or FL driver license, you might avoid the VT taxman - but you'd still have to head to one or the other to get your car inspected each year.

No car? No problem!

Bank on line - and you can be a TX resident just by declaring you 'intend to return to TX and live there'.

On the other hand, places like NY state actually try to track 'snowbirds' to make sure they don't spend more than 180 days in the state. With new license plate readers, your goose might be cooked in they see your plates show up and you're there for more than six months. That makes you a NY resident. They also have 'squealer' numbers where folks can turn you in and monitor when you 'resume' telephone and internet and cable TV service after a winter 'suspension'.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 5
<<So what is on the "critical" list for y'all?

Howie52>>

I was born in Seattle, and hear I am at age 69.

I moved to Michigan to attend graduate school and for a job in Detroit for a couple of years, but moved back to Seattle in 1976, and am still here.

I bought HUD repo houses when they were cheap and even boarded up. I still live in one and now housing is expensive.

Family is nearby, and everything else of the little I need is nearby. I adapt to what's around me, so I use public transit a lot to get around, because it's cheap and I like it. I also walk 3-5 miles/day, combining that with a bus trip fairly often.

Even the weather is better --- with the frequent summer rain replaced with a summer drought pretty often ---perhaps a benefit of global warming.

Unfortunately, left wing political rule has elbowed its way into the city, county and state, but I guess you can't have everything.

Seattle Pioneer
Any state whose citizenry elects to put the likes of Bernie all-millionaire's-are-evil-except-me Sanders in office term after term are either habitually on drugs or are populated by the mentally challenged. In either case, this would not be any place I would even care to visit.

Here's an interesting tid bit on where is the 'best' place to live...the military many years ago polled new military retirees on the best state they were assigned and could not choose their "home" state. The most preferred state? South Dakota...no kidding!

BruceM
<<The most preferred state? South Dakota...no kidding!

BruceM>>

You have to admit, it SOUNDS like a joke!

On the other hand:

<<South Dakota has the most cattle per person in the United States followed by Nebraska and Montana.
Rank State Cattle
1 South Dakota 3,650,000
2 Nebraska 6,150,000
3 Montana 2,550,000
4 North Dakota 1,770,000>>

Seattle Pioneer
South Dakota's too crowded for me. Over 12 people per square mile.

- WyomingTim
SD..no income tax and you can register a car and don't have to go back yearly to renew it or get it inspected....

great for travelers..... be a South Dakota resident and not be there at all...

t
CNC:

I can only tell you we love it here.

Where you retire largely depends on what you want from where you end up, and whether or not you just plain are happy there - climate, enough to live on the way you like to live, etc. Could be Mexico, Montana, Florida -- or even Vermont. ;)

I would suggest folks TRY a place before finally settling there. We did that, and came to be happy with our choice.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 4
CNC:

By the way, whenever I see those articles, I tend to chuckle.

Whoever writes them often obviously has a big bias for or against a place, any place, and I suspect wrote them to make a buck -- not to seriously offer sound advice!

Some folks want fast pace, lots of night life, etc. Some, like us, want peace and quiet and solitude, mostly. How would you evaluate such things "fairly"?

Vermonter
I would suggest folks TRY a place before finally settling there. We did that, and came to be happy with our choice.

Vermonter

Oh, we have done that. Considering the desirements and financial constraints, we still prefer SoCal (but we want to get out of the LA footprint.)

Some people like brown shoes, some prefer black.

Had a friend who married a Hungarian gal. He enjoyed one of their sayings, even though he never understood it: "Tastes and slaps differ."

CNC
"I would suggest folks TRY a place before finally settling there. We did that, and came to be happy with our choice.

Vermonter "

One of the reasons God invented the Conestoga wagon - after inventing horses, donkeys and
oxen and allowing horses and donkeys sufficient time to play.

Howie52

Move as your heart - or loved one - requires.

Or not.
t:

Be aware that here in Vermont, if you own a home here AND elsewhere, so this is your second home, your tax rate here will be 50% higher! Yup.

Nice place to live IF this is your primary/only residence.

BTW, out here where we live, there is no cable, so we have DirecTV, which we like, anyway. Thankfully, the dish is just off the deck so we can whack snow off of it in the winter, because that bothers the picture f it builds up too much on the reflector!)

Vermonter
"In either case, this would not be any place I would even care to visit."

We'd allow you in, anyway. We're tolerant, even of folks whose blinders somehow block out Trump's obvious ignorance and absurd assertions.

Vermonter
"BTW, out here where we live, there is no cable, so we have DirecTV, which we like, anyway. Thankfully, the dish is just off the deck so we can whack snow off of it in the winter, because that bothers the picture f it builds up too much on the reflector!)

Vermonter "

Snowy picture.

Used to be one would adjust the antenna - or add a coat hanger to the indoor
antenna.

Howie52
I used to hate when the picture would only come in clear if you held onto the antenna.
<<Be aware that here in Vermont, if you own a home here AND elsewhere, so this is your second home, your tax rate here will be 50% higher! Yup.>>

So....

How do tax authorities know you have another "home," as opposed to no real estate or real estate that's a rental property or such?

Seattle Pioneer
<<We'd allow you in, anyway. We're tolerant, even of folks whose blinders somehow block out Trump's obvious ignorance and absurd assertions.

Vermonter>>

Is that really necessary? You want to import that into this board?

Just say the word.

Seattle Pioneer
RV:"<<Be aware that here in Vermont, if you own a home here AND elsewhere, so this is your second home, your tax rate here will be 50% higher! Yup.>>"

Yup, my sister gets screwed on the NY house, which happens to sit right on Lake George. It's her second home

In TX, for those over 65 or disabled, you get a $40,000 property tax exemption.

If it is your primary residence, you get a 20% reduction in the 'appraised value' as a Primary Homeowner Exemption.

If you are over 65, your 'school part of ' taxes are frozen at the level they were when you turned 65. They are most of your tax bill.

If I just bought my house now at age 73 and it was a second home, my taxes would likely be 50% higher. Maybe even more.

In the past few years, my taxes have actually gone DOWN since Toyota built a billion dollars worth of taxable real estate here.......A few hundred bucks.

t.