Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
"i.e 2. $13,000 in long term gains in a given year against $10,000 in long term losses in the same year, $3,000 offsets ordinary income. Gains that exceed $3,000 would be taxed at the capital gains rate."

Presumably you meant 13000 in long term losses and 10000 in long term gains - with a net 3000 loss

Otherwise you would have 3000 in a long term capital gain and that would be taxable.

but I'm sure the pros will be here any second.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.