Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"if both you and your ex-wife provide over half the support of your son"

How can two different people each provide more than half the support of one child--Curiously JAFO

Well tain't Hemingway I guess--but if the parents together provide over half the support of the child, the custodial parent gets the deduction, unless the he/she waives it through Form 8332 or similar agreement.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.