Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
"If I hold stocks purchased say 6 years ago, can I really sell them now and claim the super long-term gain in '01?"

Sorry, no!
We had a thread on the super long term rate a couple of weeks ago. What you can do is pretend to sell and re-purchase the stocks on 1/1/01, then continue to hold them until 1/1/06 and sell for real to get the reduced rate. The problem is, you have to pay taxes for 01 on your gains over the last six years, so it basically isn't worth it. The only situation where I think it makes sense to do the pretend sell/buy is if you have a loss of less than 10%.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.