No. of Recommendations: 0
"If you can sustain 2.25% above inflation, you should be okay if you are currently spending about 3.25% of your assets"

My personal Situation is I will be drawing 3% from my funds starting
at the age of 54 since I had a 3 year disability policy. The Insurance policy was a life saver.

I will still have my homestead in reserve if needed at the end.

Like others some of my money is tied up in a Fidelity 401K with limited
choices for fixed income. I believe Wendy started the "Crystal Ball" thread, that's where I am right now deciding on when to lock in the rates and for how long. My feeling is I have at least 6 months to
get this sorted out. I have already locked in the money I need from
fixed income for the next 10 years. So now its just a matter of
from that point to the exit point.

"But if the calculator says you can get 36 years at a 4% withdrawal rate and 2.25% above inflation, I'd be looking for a withdrawal rate or above inflation rate closer to 45 years on the calculator to feel comfortable about the money really lasting 36 years."

Good advice I have always been conservative but 40+ years can have
a lot of gotcha's along the way.

Pappy

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.