Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"If you're worried about the difference in taxes, you could do a form of dollar cost averaging. Say you have 1200 shares of a stock that you want to convert. Just convert 100 shares on, say, the 10th trading day of every month, whether the stock has gone up, down or sideways. You will convert 1200 shares during the year, at 12 different price points. That should be enough price points that you will have participated in most of the up/down performance during the year.

AJ "

Ohh, I like that idea. Didn't know it was possible to do something like that! Thought it was a process where you indicated which account you wanted to convert or dollar amount of the account you wanted to convert. Had no idea that you could actually pick the number of shares of a particular stock in the account to convert. I really appreciate your feedback and participation on this thread. Thanks!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.