No. of Recommendations: 0
"i'm a little confused about seps. i'm self employed, and i already have a traditional ira. can i have a sep as well?"

Yes. You can also convert your traditional IRA to include SEP contributions.

"i would like to put away more than the $2000/yr that i put in my trad. ira, and have that savings be tax deferred as well. do i set up the sep and then deduct the amount on my schedule c? under pension contributions?"

Yes. Talk to your current IRA custodian and tell them you would like to set up a SEP. They will send you some forms to be filled out. As far as the SEP is concerned, only the employer can make contributions. You are your employer. Assuming you have no employees other than yourself, you don't have to also set up a SEP for anyone else.
Best wishes, Chris

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.