Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"in kind" distribution of the stock whereby you father would be taxed on the cost basis of the stock (as provided by the company plan administrator)in the year of distribution. If he needs to sell stock at a later time, he would be taxed at the capital gain rate

"in-kind" distribution is the way to go that way you dramtically reduce your tax bite. great advice gopete i second it

Tom Greeves, CFP
a.k.a SpyontheWise
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.