Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Investments, if you have enough of them, can also be used as a efund. It may mean you have to lose money when you sell at an inopportune time, but that's not the same as not having any savings or access to money, which the original article did seem to hint at."

I agree. I don't even have a savings account and don't ever intend to. I have just enough in my checking account to cover expenses for a month. Everything else goes into my investment accounts. Personally, I would consider putting money in a savings account to be riskier than putting it all in my investment account. In a savings account I'm guaranteed to get a horrible return. Long term, my investments are almost guaranteed to earn significantly more than a savings account. Short term, there's more volatility, but that's what credit cards and margin are for.

If I do get hit with some "emergency" I'll either use a credit card or write a check with my investment account on margin. The fact that margin is available means I won't ever have to sell at an "inopportune time". It just means I might not be able to load up on as much stock if my "emergency" happens to coincide with a stock market crash.

As for the subject of the post, it should be "$250,000 per year and still a moron" because it's not possible to earn that much and be broke unless you're an idiot with your finances.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.