Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Is anyone familiar with Merril Lynch's Investment Plans? "

Our company was using M-L. We are now moving to Scudder. From what I can tell of the 401K plans, the choice is made by the company based on the company's cost of administering the plan.

Our ML plan did not give us access to ALL of the ML funds (as if that was anything I wanted). We also were given access to a few other funds such as AIM Value, MFS Emerging Growth, and Templeton Foreign as well as what ML considered an in-house index fund. It usually had a 0.5% lower return than Vanguard's VFINX. (Gee, it also had an admin fee around 0.7% versus Vanguard's 0.2%)

When we original moved from our old 401K to M-L, ML moved all funds to ML funds. We were not given a choice on how we wanted to map our transfer. And ML had all contributions set to accummulate in one ML fund. I didn't get to see what they did for 6 months. I quickly moved most all of it to AIM and the ML Index look-alike.

We received quarterly statements almost two months late and I would spend almost 2 to 4 hours deciphering and entering this statement into Quicken - What a horrible mess.

But no matter how bad ML is, make certain you max out to the companies maximum contribution.

I suggest if you are given Internet access (we did not get that option) or phone access that you watch ML like a hawk and make sure your investments are going where you expect them to be made.

If you still have specific question, you can email me.

BGP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.