Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
"I’ve been feeding birdies for years and used S hooks to hang the feeders on. Trouble with that is that it was hung on a tree limb. Squirrels and other critters are very agile and they go where the food is.
My first experiment was to get tube feeders for finches....they did alright and the squirrels had a hard time on them, but they kept trying and I remember one day, I saw one continue to climb the tree, fall off the feeder a jillion times and the last time he fell, it looked like he had broken one of his hind legs....very sad for me to witness. I admire their tenacity. If we were in the wild, we’d be tenacious too about persuing food.

Now, a few years back, I ventured into a specialty bird supply store, it’s a chain called Wild Birds unlimited. I got a very knowledgeable sales lady who showed me what worked for her. It’s called a APS and it stands for advanced something or other. These are steady poles in the ground, and you build one pole into the other and you can have one hook, two hooks....it’s pretty amazing. As for the squirrels, I chose the one she preferred and it’s called a raccoon baffle. I have never seen a squirrel get past it, they slide down the outside of it.

I also learned about proper placement. Don’t put it near shrubs or bushes or trees because the squirrels can easily jump onto it. Now this may mean you might not have a perfect viewing spot but it will be safe from squirrels and raccoons. I’ve been so happy with the system, I bought a second one for the back yard.

Here’s the website with a photo of the raccoon baffle.
http://shop.wbu.com/p/wbu-aps-raccoon-baffle?pp=12

Happy birding!

Lucky Dog"

Deer come to our birdfeeders.
And they make a much greater mess than the squirrels.

Howie52
I don't worry about feeding the furry birds too much - but
I tend to worry when the squirrels and deer and birds start
waiting at the door with their hats in their hands/paws/beaks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.