Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
"I've noticed a lot of people think that HSR will work in CA just because they wish really hard. These people generally don't have any clue as to the market HSR is trying to enter.

75% of it is business, 95% of these people want quicker times, not slower, even one hour slower is significant. Time is generally more important than money in the high skill labor market of CA."

These people want faster time DOOR to DOOR and if you have to go 25 miles to catch the train, arrive 25 miles from your destination and have to rent a car, take a taxi or limo service......the supposed extra hour you saved isn't an extra hour.

I live in Dallas...it's an hour to the airport...it's an hour to the downtown train terminal and there is no parking there. There's plenty of parking at the airport.

For me, I can't park at the train station - total waste.....nor can anyone else.

Oh, I could drive to the light rail station - except you can't park overnight there. Oh, pay $20 for a taxi ride to the train station, ride the light rail for about $4 to downtown, walk about 3/4 mile to the train station dragging bag or pay another taxi, if you can find one......to get to the train station.

You got to be nuts to think that high speed rail will amount to much in the US.

We don't have the tracks for it and can't afford to build it where it is truly wanted, needed, and would pay for itself - the east coast corridor. It would take 500 billion just to buy the right of way and it would take 20 years of folks battling not to lose their homes along the right of way. Won't happen in my lifetime.

Same from Chicago to NY.......you got stretches of track at 10=15 mph......through areas you can't buy a decent right of way.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.