Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"lawyer in town told me that because it was an "income in respect to a decedent" that i didn't owe any tax? would the IRS really let this happen "

The lawyer is wrong. You will have to report this as interest income. Income in respect of decedent is reported by you just like you earned the interest. Whether it taxable depends on what is happenning on your tax return.

You may want to check on treating the bonds as if they were cashed in the deceases final return. That way you only report the interest earned after the date of death.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.