Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
"Looks like I have to factor in ~2000/month in insurance for 2 to be safe?"

intercst:"For a married couple with an income of less than $62,040 for 2014, your health insurance premium is capped at 9.5% of your income under Obamacare. "

Of course, you realize that is for likely $5000 deductible plan and $12,000 a year out of pocket expense for a family plan, plus $60 co-pay for doc visit

So you will need to factor in a lot more since ObamaKare doesn't start paying until you really rack up the bills.

- - ---

On the other hand, Medicare will cost you $200-$300 a month, or near zero if you can get on a Medicare Advantage plan you like and stay in the same general area year round....and don't mind an HMO like plan......

Medicare pays all of your doc visits....and depending on your drug plan and drug needs.....most of that as well......and you buy a supplement for a bit over 100 bucks a month.....and that is that.

If you are healthy you might even skip the supplement. Many on a budget do. It just covers the 20% co-pay on hospitalization..... (typically 120 a month for the supplement.

I guess for a couple, you'd double that.....

the lowest medicare

Low-mid earners...under $100/month

Higher earners pay almost double....

supplement, if you want it for hospitalization 20% co-pay....another hundred plus a month.

It's a deal......my insurance costs, including a $24/month drug plan, is under $330/month and I pay zero for doc visits and tests.....

At age 64 it was nearly 50% more for $2500 deductible and 30% co-pay.

t
t.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.