No. of Recommendations: 35
"Here" is my state, Indiana, where it's redder than an enraged bull's nightmare. A proposal to amend our Constitution to ban gay marriage is on its way to the Senate after the Speaker detected a whiff of resistance from the committee he first assigned to consider it. (Amend the Constitution when it's already illegal??). He fixed his problem by simply re-assigning it to a 100% more amenable, more conservative committee.

Andy Markle, a gay Republican running for the Indiana House, announced on FB that he was leaving the Republican Party. He said....

...It is with a heavy heart but clear conscience that I announce the end of my run for Indiana State House, District 99, as a Republican. With today's announcement by Speaker Brian Bosma that he is using extraordinary and unprecedented rules to change House Joint Resolution 3's committee assignment, I have no choice but to resign my candidacy. As an openly gay male and a conservative, I find it deplorable that the state would choose to take such extraordinary measures to disenfranchise me and fellow LGBT brothers and sisters. In an era where my party declared that it was the party of "small government" and "less intrusion", it has been confirmed that it is not the party of small government or less intrusion. I am not leaving the Republican Party; the Republican Party has left me.

We Hoosiers must remember to congratulate ourselves for solidly being on marriage-saving time. That new form of time, of course, means turning back Indiana's clocks a full century or so.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.