Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Mowing" seems to me to be about work. It seems ironic that he was such a bad bad farmer. He worked on and off his entire life at farming and never was able to support his family on it. He seemed to want to be a farmer, but...

But in the poem he talks about love of hard work etc...so what kind of work did Frost do, what work did he love. I think most will agree it is Poetry. I think this poem has to be read on some level as a discussion of his art or the process of writing. Writing poems was the hard work that Frost does. He would work and work his lines of poetry until he thought they were right. Perhaps this was not physically challenging, but it certainly is mentally challenging. Frost returns to this theme of the difficulty and work involved in creating his poetry throughout his career, often dicussing the need to "hibernate" after a spurt of creativity. We'll see this in "After Apple Picking."

I said in the previous post that knowledge of hard work was a reward. I think there is another element in this and that is loving the work. Frost writes:

Anything more than the truth would have seemed too weak
To the earnest love that laid the swale in rows,
Not without feeble-pointed spikes of flowers
(Pale orchises), and scared a bright green snake.
The fact is the sweetest dream that labour knows.

Work done in "earnest love" has its price (cutting down the flowers, scaring the snake) but that is the basic fact of labour. It ain't easy and it takes its toll. But if it is done with earnest love, that price is worth the reward. At least thats my take--I could be way off.

1FW
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.