Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"must I open a new traditional IRA account with my online broker, or can I put the money into my existing traditional IRA account"

You can use the same account, but your broker has to know that you have self-employment money and you want your account to be a SEP. You have to fill out some forms that indicate whether you have employees and if so what criteria you use to determine which employees are eligible. SEP money is officially contributed by the employer; when you are self-employed your employer is you, and there isn't necessarily anyone else involved.
You can contribute much more than $2000 a year to a SEP, so your custodian needs to know why you are sending several $1000 checks in a year--or whatever.
In addition to SEP money you can continue to contribute $2000 a year of traditional IRA money to the same account.
Best wishes, Chris

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.