Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"My issue is all this talk about the possibility of crashes etc. Just wondering if maybe I should wait some months to see if the stock market retraces rather than put it all in now and possibly lose when it happens. What is the consensus lately, will there be some sort of crash or major retracement on the horizon."

All things are cyclic - but not all cycles are duplicated. Yes, there will be bear markets.
Yes, there is a potential for a repeat of the Great Depression. And not a single soul can
tell you when markets will crash and burn or which companies or industrial types will
decline and never recover. Consider history. Great societies come and go. Great nations
are beset by great failures and great disasters.
If the world economy craters, there is no real way you can avoid the impact.
Eventually, the sun will destroy all life in the solar system.

All the worries that are out in the mind's eye are possible. What if they do not
occur for fifty years? 75 years? 275 years? What if the markets continue to work?
What options are available to consider?

One question any investor should ask themselves is "What do I feel about risk? What do
I think about losing investment capital?". You need to think about this because you will
lose money at some point. Will the possibility of loss cause you to worry? Will you have trouble
sleeping? Would you feel the same about half of your assets? Three quarters?
What amount of cash do you need to have available to not worry too much about losing
what you have invested? Think about setting up an emergency fund as a way of dealing with
your worries. But also recognize that even a cash emergency fund can be lost. Folks in
Venezuela lost theirs. Germans lost theirs after WW I and again after WW II.
Countries are devastated - and everyday people lose everything - and have to rebuild
from scratch.

In the worst of all possible worlds, people still survive.
You can as well.

Howie52
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.