Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
This is an assumption that one sees quite a bit and I'd like to examine the reasons for it.

First of all, lets define diabetes. Juvenile or type I is pretty uncontroversial...the body no longer is capable of making any or extremely little insulin. The only "cure" for this currently is a pancreatic transplant, and I'm not sure how long that cure lasts for most people. I do know that it doesn't seem to be something that is done all that often. The standard treatment is diet, exercise, stress management, and sugar control through injected insulin. Some also take oral medication.

I admit to knowing much less about type II, or adult onset diabetes than I do about Juvenile, so please jump in and offer your interpretations and your basis for those interpretations. IIRC, there are actually many ways in which you may be a type II, and it is in some ways a symptom of various conditions. Some of the conditions are as follows:

-poor food and exercise habbits
-insulin resistance
-PCOS
-hormone imbalance

I'm sure there are many others.

The primary driver I'm aware of in type II is that your resistance to insulin increases making it necessary for your body to produce more insulin to deal with the same sugar loads. Over time if this is left unchecked, you can stress your pancreas out so badly that it litterally burns out and you become a type I. That is if you survive the high sugars that may arise in the meantime as your resistance to insulin gets worse and worse. There are many drugs that are given to help decrease this resistance, (again, not my strength,) and the various cardiovascular issues that crop up due to the elevated insulin levels. The good news is that you can also control your insulin levels by severely limiting your carbohydrate intake. This results in lowering blood pressure and improving your cholesterol and lipid profile as well as minimizing your insulin needs and improving insulin sensitivity. All without or with fewer drugs.

But can this be called a cure? Certainly not in that similar to a person who has had a heart bypass, if you don't change your eating and exercise habbits permanently you will wind up with the same problem years later. (Point of information: most people who have a bypass wind back up on the OR table within 10 years with their arteries reblocked because they did not change their habbits.) It is not good enough to lose the weight and then go back to your old eating habbits. Permanent change must take place. I submit however, that if you can permanently change your eating and exercise habbits, (and no one is saying that is an easy thing to do,) most type IIs can permanently eliminate their need for synthetic drugs while keeping their sugars in control, lowering their blood pressure, and improving their cholesterol count.

So I simply do not buy into this permanently diseased state with a lifetime need for medication that DRs seem to be spouting. Food is also a drug, causing reactions and interactions with our bodies. Change your input, (what you eat,) your catalyst, (stress management and the exercise you do,) and you can change the chemical reactions in your bodies, (insulin resistance, high blood pressure, clogged arteries,) before the diabetes becomes permanent through the burnout of your pancreas.

I look forward to the discussion.

InParadise
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.