Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Of course race was an issue. To wit, Bob Davie's record after 3 years at ND: 21-16; Willingham's was 21-15. Davie gets to finish out his contract. Ditto for Gerry Faust, whose first three years netted an 18-15-1 record and he was able serve his five-year contract. (I cribbed these numbers from King Kaufman's column at the time: http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col/kaufman/2004/12/01/wednesday/index.html)"

I said what I felt last year.

"I do think, and do think it was wrong, that Willingham was held to an unnecessarily high standard; plus he also saved the ND Admin's bacon over the O'Leary mess. At the time, the ND PR word was that the team wasn't winning enough, but that didn't keep previous -- white -- coaches from keeping their jobs. That being said, with, essentially, the same talent on the field that Ty had, Weis takes the Irish to a BCS bowl in his first season as coach."

This is the reason why I went towards the Gators in my DI-A world.
1. Zook got fired at Florida (hired the same years as Willingham).
2. Similar results on the field.
3. Urban Meyer (during his tenure at Utah) puts a clause in his contract that if 2 jobs became vacant, he could entertain those offers without conflict.
4. Both got fired. What the difference between Zook and Willingham was that Willingham's guys "did everything right off the field, but did not translate to wins on the field" (or something like that).
5. Gruden, who's Dad worked for Dan Devine, is a die-hard domer fan. Gruden turned down the job. Word is that after Davie was let go, Gruden wanted the Notre Dame HC job. The rest is history. My money says he didn't like what happened to Coach Willingham either.
6. Coach Meyer considered both jobs mentioned earlier. My belief is that he saw what happened to Coach Willingham & saw he played kids early on.
7. Meyer also noticed that he has the entire state of Florida to recruit from. His first year he still managed a Top 10 recruiting class in the short time his staff had. Last year, U-F was Top 2 including the Top QB (Tebow) & WR (Harvin). This year, a verbal came from the #1 DL (who's cousin is currently playing at UF). ND lacked "talent" (in the means of natural athletes) but had discipline. Florida was just the opposite. Now, Florida in the Top 5 and most of his recruits are redshirts. While I won't say "Steve Who", this guy is about to tilt the balance of power straight through Gainsville (I thought it would have been Zook, who will do a VERY good job in Illinois). Kids have cancelled visits to top tier schools to consider U-F. I'll say 3-4 years at the worst, the measuring stick for NCAA Football will be USC, Florida, Texas, Ohio State & Auburn.

After hearing about what Steve Spurrier was as a guy, I change my stance. Plus he swings Big Bertha Clubs (NYSE:ELY) so he has taste in clubs.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.