No. of Recommendations: 14
"Once again, I ask: how this this affect YOU? You are retired. You've saved plenty of money to live on, your house is paid for, you've said you've done the traveling,etc. you'd like to do, still do some now. You have social security and Medicare, probably a supplemental plan, and you're financially set until you die, I hope at a very old age. You're not paying for anyone's tuition, you're not financially responsible for anyone but yourself, and it sounds like your nephew is doing great.

So why do you care?"

---

As I said before, I care because the college/university/federal funding programs are taking money out of the US economy that could be used for more useful purposes other than employing 400% bloat in college administration and gold plated facilities to coddle college students.

Think of it as MILLIONS in future investment accounts vaporized...gone.....

I care because $200,000 and $300,000 bills for 4 years of private college are about 4 times or more more than they should be given inflation based upon historical trends.

I care because the whole system is going to collapse upon itself likely in my lifetime.

The cost of just about everything else in life has gone down by factors of 3 or 5 in my lifetime.

The amount of hours needed to feed a family of four has gone down by at least 2 or 3 compared to the 1950s. The quality of food has increased by several hundred percent (Frozen foods vs many simply not available out of season and transport of foods around the country/world).

The cost of cars , when you factor in all the safety features and conveniences, is not 10x what it was in the 50s and 60s and your cars last 3 times longer and require 1/10th the maintenance.

TV sets? You get 3x the TV set for 1/2 the price - inflation adjusted.

College tuition - out of sight.....8 times what it was in the 1960s.....EIGHT TIMES.

Get the picture?

There is absolutely NO reason for it other than liberal political BS with mandate after mandate about slicing and dicing the student body, 20 different 'affirmative action' programs conflicting, ten people required to fill out the federal paperwork, six lawyers on staff to handle the paperwork, analyze all the new rules and regulations and write 'compliance' documents, 30 diversity councilors and safe space monitors, fancy new offices for the 400% bloat in administrators and diversity councilors and safe space monitors and federal and state paperwork handlers, fat salaries and benefits for them all, hiring folks like Lizzie Fauxcahontas Warren who teaches all of one course but fills the hole for 'native American' and 'female' faculty member to meet a quota, (with couple hundred thousand dollar a year salary, office on campus, etc)......

Colleges should be lean and mean.....not gold plated institutions for coddling students who arrive with the attitude of everyone wins a trophy and can't handle failure when they hit their first speed bump.

t.

t

t
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.