Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
He's baaack! "Our" barred owl is now perched right outside our window. One squirrel shocked us by going right out on the owl's branch, getting within 2 feet of the owl, and staring a while before scurrying away. Stupid or brave? Maybe the owl wants smaller prey.

We'd love to have the owl grab a squirrel. We get tired of them climbing up to our bird feeder.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfHu-UJaK0Q

<<<He's baaack! "Our" barred owl is now perched right outside our window. One squirrel shocked us by going right out on the owl's branch, getting within 2 feet of the owl, and staring a while before scurrying away. Stupid or brave? Maybe the owl wants smaller prey.

We'd love to have the owl grab a squirrel. We get tired of them climbing up to our bird feeder.

Vermonter>>>

Perhaps you need the bird feeder above...,.

Seattle Pioneer
SP:

The bird feeder is hanging from under the roof on the second floor porch. They still manage to claw their way up and hang on. We have a metal roaster pan blocking them now but they jump over it.

For some stupid seeds? They have acorns and pine cones all over the place. Stupid.

Vermonter
grease the pole....

t.
"SP:

The bird feeder is hanging from under the roof on the second floor porch. They still manage to claw their way up and hang on. We have a metal roaster pan blocking them now but they jump over it.

For some stupid seeds? They have acorns and pine cones all over the place. Stupid.

Vermonter"

That's entertainment.

And exercise rolled into one activity.

Howie52

If you could convince the local university to start a program to
add lemming stem cells to the bird seed, the squirrels might all
go leaping to the sea!

Course, the birds might all go leaping at your car windows as well.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"SP: The bird feeder is hanging from under the roof on the second floor porch. They still manage to claw their way up and hang on. We have a metal roaster pan blocking them now but they jump over it. For some stupid seeds? They have acorns and pine cones all over the place. Stupid." - Vermonter
------------

Buy a pellet rifle at Walmart and shoot the squirrels in the butt. They'll get the message and leave. By the way they are delicious.

Art
"grease the pole...." tele

Shoot them with a pellet gun.

Art
"Buy a pellet rifle at Walmart and shoot the squirrels in the butt. They'll get the message and leave. By the way they are delicious.

Art "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I understand that waiting for the squirrels to come to the feeder was
the basis for "Waiting for Godot".

Howie52
But this may have been just nuts.
<<Buy a pellet rifle at Walmart and shoot the squirrels in the butt. They'll get the message and leave. By the way they are delicious.

Art>>

After Art gets a shot at them, only the lucky ones are able to limp around like Walter Brennan.

Seattle Pioneer
Squirrel teams have besieged my neighbors suet station,chewing through the holders used to attach them to a pole,then dragging them away never to be seen again.

They climb my porch steps,then scamper across my porch screens (making little bug-entry points)before leaping into my window bird feeder.

During the course of this past year using a Have-A Heart trap,he has succeeded in catching 6 squirrels.They each took a car ride to the state game-lands for a new home site.
No. of Recommendations: 13
During the course of this past year using a Have-A Heart trap,he has succeeded in catching 6 squirrels.They each took a car ride to the state game-lands for a new home site.

A squirrel joke I've always enjoyed:

The Presbyterian Church called a meeting to decide what to do about their squirrels. After much prayer and consideration, they determined the squirrels were predestined to be there and they shouldn't interfere with God's divine will.

At the Baptist Church, the squirrels had taken an interest in the baptistery. The Elders met and decided to put a water slide on the baptistery and let the squirrels drown themselves. The squirrels liked the slide and unfortunately, knew instinctively how to swim so twice as many squirrels showed up the following week.

The Episcopal Church decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God's creatures. So, they humanely trapped their squirrels and set them free near the Baptist Church. Two weeks later the squirrels were back when the Baptists took down the water slide

But the Catholic Church came up with a very creative strategy. They baptized all the squirrels and consecrated them as members of the church. Now they only see them on Christmas and Easter.

Not much was heard from the Jewish Synagogue, but it's rumored that they took one squirrel and circumcised him. They haven't seen a squirrel on their property since.
I have a fence around my house. The squirrels go back and forth all day long along the top of the wood fence...day in and day out. Big oak tree in my front yard. Not sure where they are going.....

There are also a gazillion rabbits around here.....some days see 3 or 4 sitting in my side yard as I drive by it......from the rear to the front......going somewhere...

Suburbia ....

t.
Art:

I have a BB gun, bought a few years ago, but am not a hunter and dislike hurting animals, even squirrels. As for eating them, ugh..... :)

Vermonter
<<Art:

I have a BB gun, bought a few years ago, but am not a hunter and dislike hurting animals, even squirrels. As for eating them, ugh..... :)

Vermonter >>

I guess now we know why Vermonter has a squirrel problem and Art does not.

Although I particularly liked the methods used by the Catholic Church and the Jewish synagogue to deal with the squirrel problem. The Jews seemed to have the best solution, although not one I'd care to undertake myself.

Seattle Pioneer
"As for eating them, ugh..... :)" - Vermonter

? Are you a vegetarian? Do you eat beef, pork, chicken, lamb, turkey, duck, etc? If so it is hypocritical to participate in the killing of farm animals for food and then be disgusted by the killing of wild animals for food. There is absolutely no difference. I have worked in an abattoir and also worked as a meat cutter and I also hunt and fish. They all involve the killing of animals for food.

Meat is meat and parts is parts.

Art
remember that critters can take on the taste of what they have been fed.

a deer in a neighbor's corn-field is a relatively known quantity.

Perhaps the individual who buys the birdseed upon which the squirrels are
feeding might know more about the possible taste of the squirrels than
another person.

Howie52
Sometimes the birdseed I use is pretty good - sometimes the dust cloud
coming out of the bag of seed is something to avoid.
Art:

No - I just dislike the taste of squirrels.

Vermonter
"Art: No - I just dislike the taste of squirrels." - Vermonter

Oh, you've tried it. Good for you for at least trying it. Me personally I like the taste of squirrel. It does taste a little different from pork or chicken. It has its own flavor. When we first moved to our house here there must have been 30 or 40 of them literally hanging out all over the place. We have holes in our eaves where they have chewed holes in the wood and it is too high up for me to climb up there and repair it. I'm scared to climb the ladder that high. I have a fear of heights.

They've got a squirrel problem in Great Britain and Europe. Somebody imported American Grey Squirrels to Great Britain and Europe and they've become an invasive species and are displacing the little native red squirrels. They have no predators and are taking over. The authorities are encouraging people to kill and eat them in order to try and gain control of their population.

London restaurant serves up gray squirrel lasagna

"Feb. 4 (UPI) -- The chef at a London restaurant said he is catering to customers in search of "sustainable" proteins with a lasagna made with an unusual meat -- gray squirrel.

Ivan Tisdall-Downes, chef at Borough Market restaurant Native, said he struck a deal with his wild boar supplier to obtain the gray squirrel carcasses that would have gone to waste from culls of the invasive North American animals."

full story can be read @:

https://www.upi.com/London-restaurant-serves-up-gray-squirre...

Art

I must ask of you squirrel eaters.... Do you eat any other rodents?

Just the thought is repulsive to me!
"I must ask of you squirrel eaters.... Do you eat any other rodents?"

Why not?

Folks eat 'birds' all the time. Pheasants....chicken, turkey, quail......

Bovines

they all eat and crap. Chickens lay eggs.....the eggs come from INSIDE the chicken......

t.
<<I must ask of you squirrel eaters.... Do you eat any other rodents?

Just the thought is repulsive to me!..>>

"There's nothing like a nice fat rat that's had the run of the bread locker...."

(From a Horatio Hornblower novel)

Seattle Pioneer
Interesting scientific paper on "Rodents as a Food Source" http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=10...
Lists 71 rodents eaten by mankind (See Table 1)

tb2
"rodents eaten by mankind (See Table 1)

tb2 "
Everything is food -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT5ENxSGOP4

and it is glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7PONiKGUs

even if gruel.
OldFool31: "I must ask of you squirrel eaters.... Do you eat any other rodents?"

I remember a book called An American in the Gulag
https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Dolguns-story-American-Gula...

Alexander Dolgun, from embassy employee, to prisoner, then falsely convicted of being a terrorist against Russia and sentenced to hard labor. Released after eight long years he is finally able to recount the experience of being transported to and between prisons, interactions and friendships with other prisoners, the day to day drudgery of trying to stay alive under horrendous conditions which involved trying to meet ridiculously high work quotas for extremely strenuous jobs while in a constant state of starvation and often, sickness.

He survived his time there by eating rats - the only food available to him.

CNC
"I must ask of you squirrel eaters.... Do you eat any other rodents? Just the thought is repulsive to me!" -Oldfool

I've eaten Beaver and guinea pig and a lot of squirrels. They were all quite tasty.

On the TV show about Alaska, "Life Below Zero", they kill Muskrat and eat them. I'd eat Muskrat or Woodchuck if the opportunity presented itself.

Art
"Interesting scientific paper on "Rodents as a Food Source" http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=10...
Lists 71 rodents eaten by mankind (See Table 1)" tb2

I've seen Andrew Zimmern in Croatia and they were eating fat Dormice. Dormice used to be a delicacy in Ancient Rome.

"The edible dormouse (Glis glis) was considered a delicacy in ancient Rome, either as a savoury appetizer or as a dessert (dipped in honey and poppy seeds). The Romans used a special kind of enclosure, a glirarium, to raise dormice for the table.[4] It is still considered a delicacy in Slovenia and in several places in Croatia, namely Lika, and the islands of Hvar and Brac.[5][6] Dormouse fat was believed by the Elizabethans to induce sleep since the animal put on fat before hibernating.[7]'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormouse

Art, and yes I'd eat a dormouse if I was visiting Croatia.
Howie shares, "Everything is food -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT5ENxSGOP4

and it is glorious

even if gruel."

--------------------------

Food Glorious Food from the musical Oliver

Art
I’ve been feeding birdies for years and used S hooks to hang the feeders on. Trouble with that is that it was hung on a tree limb. Squirrels and other critters are very agile and they go where the food is.
My first experiment was to get tube feeders for finches....they did alright and the squirrels had a hard time on them, but they kept trying and I remember one day, I saw one continue to climb the tree, fall off the feeder a jillion times and the last time he fell, it looked like he had broken one of his hind legs....very sad for me to witness. I admire their tenacity. If we were in the wild, we’d be tenacious too about persuing food.

Now, a few years back, I ventured into a specialty bird supply store, it’s a chain called Wild Birds unlimited. I got a very knowledgeable sales lady who showed me what worked for her. It’s called a APS and it stands for advanced something or other. These are steady poles in the ground, and you build one pole into the other and you can have one hook, two hooks....it’s pretty amazing. As for the squirrels, I chose the one she preferred and it’s called a raccoon baffle. I have never seen a squirrel get past it, they slide down the outside of it.

I also learned about proper placement. Don’t put it near shrubs or bushes or trees because the squirrels can easily jump onto it. Now this may mean you might not have a perfect viewing spot but it will be safe from squirrels and raccoons. I’ve been so happy with the system, I bought a second one for the back yard.

Here’s the website with a photo of the raccoon baffle.
http://shop.wbu.com/p/wbu-aps-raccoon-baffle?pp=12

Happy birding!

Lucky Dog
"I’ve been feeding birdies for years and used S hooks to hang the feeders on. Trouble with that is that it was hung on a tree limb. Squirrels and other critters are very agile and they go where the food is.
My first experiment was to get tube feeders for finches....they did alright and the squirrels had a hard time on them, but they kept trying and I remember one day, I saw one continue to climb the tree, fall off the feeder a jillion times and the last time he fell, it looked like he had broken one of his hind legs....very sad for me to witness. I admire their tenacity. If we were in the wild, we’d be tenacious too about persuing food.

Now, a few years back, I ventured into a specialty bird supply store, it’s a chain called Wild Birds unlimited. I got a very knowledgeable sales lady who showed me what worked for her. It’s called a APS and it stands for advanced something or other. These are steady poles in the ground, and you build one pole into the other and you can have one hook, two hooks....it’s pretty amazing. As for the squirrels, I chose the one she preferred and it’s called a raccoon baffle. I have never seen a squirrel get past it, they slide down the outside of it.

I also learned about proper placement. Don’t put it near shrubs or bushes or trees because the squirrels can easily jump onto it. Now this may mean you might not have a perfect viewing spot but it will be safe from squirrels and raccoons. I’ve been so happy with the system, I bought a second one for the back yard.

Here’s the website with a photo of the raccoon baffle.
http://shop.wbu.com/p/wbu-aps-raccoon-baffle?pp=12

Happy birding!

Lucky Dog"

Deer come to our birdfeeders.
And they make a much greater mess than the squirrels.

Howie52
I don't worry about feeding the furry birds too much - but
I tend to worry when the squirrels and deer and birds start
waiting at the door with their hats in their hands/paws/beaks.
<<I don't worry about feeding the furry birds too much - but
waiting at the door with their hats in their hands/paws/beaks.>>

We should be so lucky.

The governor of Washington State has proposed spending $1 billion on food and health care for "wild" orca whales living in Puget Sound.

They have their own welfare state currently being constructed by government.

Seattle Pioneer
Some supermarkets here on Long Island, especially in Italian or Chinese neighborhoods, sell rabbit. Rabbits are rodents. Delicious.

In South America, I think Peru, guinea pigs are raised for their meat. Common as chickens, I believe. The variety of guinea pigs they use is slightly larger than the cuddley little rodents we keep as pets here.

My father shot rabbits and squirrels and my mother would stew them in wine and onions.

Trini
No. of Recommendations: 3
"Rabbits are rodents." - Trini

Rabbits are Lagomorphs. Different Order from Rodents. Rodents are members of the order Rodentia. Only very distantly related to each other. "The leporids first appeared in the late Eocene...<snip>... Lagomorphs differ from rodents in that the former have four incisors in the upper jaw (not two, as in the Rodentia). Also, lagomorphs are almost strictly herbivorous, unlike rodents, many of which will eat both meat and vegetable matter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagomorpha

Art
"<<I don't worry about feeding the furry birds too much - but
waiting at the door with their hats in their hands/paws/beaks.>>

We should be so lucky.

The governor of Washington State has proposed spending $1 billion on food and health care for "wild" orca whales living in Puget Sound.

They have their own welfare state currently being constructed by government.

Seattle Pioneer "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Should orcas start coming up to the door carrying their hats in their fins,
I might start to believe this global warming data may not have been adjusted
as much as I currently observe.

Howie52
"Rabbits are Lagomorphs. Different Order from Rodents. Rodents are members of the order Rodentia. Only very distantly related to each other. "The leporids first appeared in the late Eocene...<snip>... Lagomorphs differ from rodents in that the former have four incisors in the upper jaw (not two, as in the Rodentia). Also, lagomorphs are almost strictly herbivorous, unlike rodents, many of which will eat both meat and vegetable matter." "

There was a film a few years back (Never Cry Wolf 1983?) that centered around a
fellow monitoring a pack of wolves. He tried an experiment to evaluate whether a
large mammal could survive on a diet of small rodents.

He tested the theory that wolves could live off of the local rodent supply
by doing so himself.

Howie52
I imagine after getting past the tail issue, people would adapt.
After all, it is the one area in which we tend to excel.
I wonder how valid that study was?

He'd just eat the muscle meat.

Wolves would eat the entire body,including the intestinal contents full of partially digested plant products.So one just eats meat,while the other also get the vegetable portions for more balance.
<<I wonder how valid that study was?

He'd just eat the muscle meat.
>>

I wouldn't be at all surprised that that guy was made of sterner stuff, and ate the whole thing, tail included.

Seattle Pioneer
Rabbits are rodents. Delicious.

While rabbits were once considered to be rodents, they are now classified as lagomorphs. They have a different skeletal and gastrointestinal structures from rodents. The latter is why you see rabbits eating their droppings.
This is fascinating stuff! :)
"Rabbits are rodents. Delicious.

While rabbits were once considered to be rodents, they are now classified as lagomorphs. They have a different skeletal and gastrointestinal structures from rodents. The latter is why you see rabbits eating their droppings."

I always thought it was interesting that mother rabbits could re-absorb
their young before birth during times of stress.
"I always thought it was interesting that mother rabbits could re-absorb
their young before birth during times of stress."

Just think of what that ability would do to the women's rights movement.
" "I always thought it was interesting that mother rabbits could re-absorb

Just think of what that ability would do to the women's rights movement. "

I somehow do not think that a pill to create "stressful times" would
really be a great leap forward.

Howie52
"I always thought it was interesting that mother rabbits could re-absorb
--------------------------
"Just think of what that ability would do to the women's rights movement. "

------------------------------

I've often thought that if there is a God, and He is all powerful and omniscient, He could make those aborted children born if He really wanted them to be born?

Reminds me of a story in the New Testament where these Pharisees are arguing with Jesus. They say something to Jesus to the effect of "we have no need of you, we are sons of Abraham!" Jesus replies to them "I tell you that God could turn these stones into Sons of Abraham if he wanted to."

So, if God really wanted those children to be born, they'd be born regardless of us? That is if there isn't some kind of lesson that we experience and learn by them not being born - which is what I suspicion is the case. Maybe duality and separation? Pro-lifers versus pro-choice? And yes it's that important.

Art
But couldn't the same rationale be used to say,if God didn't want those mass murderers to kill those people,He would have stopped it.

If God didn't want Hitler....
...holocaust..
....bigotry
....racism..

He gave us free will to go with or against his Will.
"But couldn't the same rationale be used to say,if God didn't want those mass murderers to kill those people,He would have stopped it.

...holocaust..
....bigotry
....racism..

He gave us free will to go with or against his Will." - jjbklb

-----------------------------------------------------

I don't believe in free will and I think you are exactly right, God did want Hitler and mass murderers to kill people. It's all about "duality and separation", teaching the soul what it means and it feels to be separate, unique, individual. Something that can't be learned in heaven due to those overwhelming feelings of oneness and connectedness that so many near death experiencers describe in their NDE descriptions.

Life has to be the way it is in order to overcome the "oneness and connectedness" and lack of time and space in the place we call heaven. This Earth life is a school and we simply learn here the things that can't be learned in the place we call heaven. The physics of heaven is so different from here that the only way to learn about separation is by living here for a while and experiencing lots and lots of duality and separation.

Is Free Will an Illusion? from Scientific American
"Don't trust your instincts about free will or consciousness, experimental philosophers say"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-free-will-an-i...

There's no such thing as free will

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/theres-...

Neuroscience vs philosophy: Taking aim at free will : Nature News
https://www.nature.com/articles/477023a
Scientists think they can prove that free will is an illusion. Philosophers are urging them to think again. Kerri Smith. The experiment helped to ...

Do We Have Free Will? | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/proceed-your.../do-w...
Nov 19, 2013 - Whether or not humans have free will is a question that philosophers have debated for centuries, and they will likely continue to do so. Psychology can provide some insights into how free will—or at least a belief in its existence—might work, but beyond that, we likely cannot verify or invalidate its existence.

Art
""But couldn't the same rationale be used to say,if God didn't want those mass murderers to kill those people,He would have stopped it.

...holocaust..
....bigotry
....racism..

He gave us free will to go with or against his Will." - jjbklb

-----------------------------------------------------

The souls lessons are embedded in our everyday lives and it is holistically imprinted with what it needed to learn whether it wanted to or not. It doesn't matter whether we believe it or not, accept it, or agree with it. Everyone regardless of who they are, or where they live, or what they believe experiences duality and separation, time and space, and makes memories of what it was like to be "inside" or inhabit a physical body and control that body and live in a 3 dimensional + 1 time Universe. The soul simply learns here what it can't learn in heaven. The education of the soul is too important to leave it up to chance.

It has to do with the difference between the physics of heaven and the physics of this side. The lessons we learn here have to be powerful enough to overcome those feelings of oneness and connectedness in heaven, the lack of time and space, and to last for eternity. There is a strong connection between emotion and memory. The more emotional the experience the more powerful and long lasting the memory it creates. The lessons have to evoke enough emotion so that we remember what it felt like to be separate, what time and space looked and felt like, and what it felt like to be limited by a physical body and to move inside that body and live in a 3 dimensional + 1 time Universe.

It's as simple as that.

Art
"I don't believe in free will and I think you are exactly right, God did want Hitler and mass murderers to kill people. It's all about "duality and separation", teaching the soul what it means and it feels to be separate, unique, individual. Something that can't be learned in heaven due to those overwhelming feelings of oneness and connectedness that so many near death experiencers describe in their NDE descriptions. "

I'll keep an eye out on the sky and the tea leaves to see what kind of car I
am "destined" to buy to replace the 2002 Saturn.

Howie52
I believe in fee will and choice - but that is just me.
Other folks believe differently - and their faith takes them to
different locales via differ paths to possibly different destinations.
"I'll keep an eye out on the sky and the tea leaves to see what kind of car I
am "destined" to buy to replace the 2002 Saturn."

A couple year old Suburu Outback?

t.
Howie52
I believe in fee will and choice - but that is just me.
Other folks believe differently - and their faith takes them to
different locales via differ paths to possibly different destinations."

-------------------------------

It's not a matter of faith or belief. It's science. Didn't you see the links I posted? Those are experiments done by reputable scientists published in peer reviewed journals. They have done literally thousands of experiments. There is no free will. Period.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 10
. Didn't you see the links I posted? Those are experiments done by reputable scientists published in peer reviewed journals. They have done literally thousands of experiments. There is no free will. Period.

Art

--------------

Howie should not be admonished for not seeing the links you posted since he had no choice in the matter.

Then again you had no choice in admonishing him or not, just as I had no choice in making this comment. So, carry on....
Everything is food
Howie

Soylent Green is food too, but I don't think I'll try it, even if the opportunity presents itself...
Tim
You know a thread is winding down when Art starts discussing the physics of the soul!

Seattle Pioneer
You know a thread is winding down when Art starts discussing the physics of the soul!

Normally he talks about death (continuously). Things must be getting better.
I wish y'all had a choice about your posts.
If y'all just had some free will...

Here's a 🤗

ralph
"A couple year old Suburu Outback?

t."

My sister and BIL have had a few Subaru Outbacks - and
they enjoy the heck out of them. But we are looking for a
sedan - and will test a Legacy in the next few weeks.

I have noticed that I drive into used car lots and end up looking
at Hyundai Sonatas frequently. The Accord and Camry are written up
as the best options in that size range - but we will see. One lot
had a Camry parked next to an Avalon. The Avalon was $44000 some dollars
and the Camry was $29000. After seeing the price, the Avalon didn't look
all that great - but they were new cars anyway. We have the cash put aside
to buy what appeals - but tend to see cars as transportation. I want DW to
feel comfortable driving the thing but she is having difficulty getting
around. There is another session of physical therapy coming up starting
this week - so we may see some progress.

Howie52
"Everything is food
Howie

Soylent Green is food too, but I don't think I'll try it, even if the opportunity presents itself...
Tim "

I saw a picture on some "news" site the other day purporting to show a
turtle and an alligator "kissing". There was no caption - but the mind
just had to add the phrase "Taste's like chicken."

Howie52
I thought the casting of Edward G. Robinson in the Soylent Green film was really brilliant.
"You know a thread is winding down when Art starts discussing the physics of the soul!

Seattle Pioneer "

Art has limited tolerance for skeptics and I have an unlimited
supply of skepticism.

Howie52
Threads and boards may tremble - or nap.
"You know a thread is winding down when Art starts discussing the physics of the soul!" - Seattle Pioneer

"Everything we call real is made out of things that can't be regarded as real."
- Niels Bohr, founding father of modern quantum physics

"If you're not shocked by quantum physics you haven't understood it yet."
Niels Bohr

Art
Howie, I’m sure you will find the right car to suit you and your honey. Best wishes for her continued progress in PT.

Don’t kiss turtles or alligators though.

Lucky Dog
"Gotta Getta Peel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_P50"

I prefer an auto that can putter down the road faster than 35 MPH.

Howie52
Also, I prefer to sit inside the auto rather than sitting on top of the auto.

I once saw one of the "smart" cars sandwiched between two tractor trailers driving
on 85 through Charlotte. Not a viable vehicle if involved in even a low-speed
wreck.
He's baaack! "Our" barred owl is now perched right outside our window. One squirrel shocked us by going right out on the owl's branch, getting within 2 feet of the owl, and staring a while before scurrying away. Stupid or brave? Maybe the owl wants smaller prey.

I finally spotted my first barred owl a month or so ago, and we've been living here for ten years. They're "supposed" to be prevalent in this area, but...

Vermonter

Get a Golden Retriever (GR). :-)

Our GR, Harley, used to "race" out the front door when I'd announce "SQUIRREL!" before I opened the door and he'd chase after the closest one to him. He got close to catching one numerous times, but would always "lose track" of it as it jumped onto a tree as he closed in. And, since he couldn't climb a tree...

He finally chased one that ran in a circle under a tree before it could jump onto it, and caught it right in the middle of its back. He picked it up, looked at me as it screamed, and...had to drop it when I told him to.

He wasn't happy with me making him release it. All those attempts and efforts to "finally" catch one, and I made him let it go. *sigh...poor puppy*

However, he didn't allow the "second one" to get away a year or so later, and I can't say that I blame him either.

Bill
<<He finally chased one that ran in a circle under a tree before it could jump onto it, and caught it right in the middle of its back. He picked it up, looked at me as it screamed, and...had to drop it when I told him to.

He wasn't happy with me making him release it. All those attempts and efforts to "finally" catch one, and I made him let it go. *sigh...poor puppy*
>>

My father had several West Highland White Terriers, who used to chase squirrels in his yard. The squirrels loved to tease the dogs.

One got a little too cocky and fell off a tree branch. The dogs got it in an instant. I'm sure they never looked for "permission" to kill it.

Personally, I'd root for the dogs! The odds against them catching anything are long, but if they do, they deserve their reward.

I'm betting we are going to hear more ideas for squirrel hunting from Art. I'm sure he's a MUCH more effective squirrel hunter than any dog I've heard of.

Seattle Pioneer
Personally, I'd root for the dogs! The odds against them catching anything are long...

You got me thinking of this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qpqqSx4zk
"I'm betting we are going to hear more ideas for squirrel hunting from Art. I'm sure he's a MUCH more effective squirrel hunter than any dog I've heard of." - Seattle Pioneer

Let's just put it this way.... I've eaten a lot of squirrel in my life and so has Lindytoes. Her daughters have tried it but they weren't that impressed. Me personally I like squirrel better than venison. I think squirrel is delicious.

I would have congratulated that Golden Retriever on catching a squirrel and then I would have gently taken it away from him and skinned, gutted, cleaned, and fried it up and eaten it. What a good dog!

And by the way you can buy a high powered pellet rifle at Walmart. You need at least 1200 feet per second and it has to be pretty accurate. Don't buy one of the cheap ones.

Art
"Personally, I'd root for the dogs! The odds against them catching anything are long." SeattlePioneer

If you want a dog that can actually catch and kill squirrels, quickly, you need to get a Rat Terrier or Jack Russell. That is what they've been bred to do and they do it well. My rat terriers used to catch cotton rats or short tailed rats down in the ditch at the bottom of our property and they'd kill in them in just two or three seconds.

"The Rat Terrier is an American dog breed with a background as a farm dog and hunting companion. Traditionally more of a type than a breed, they share much ancestry with the small hunting dogs known as feists."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Terrier

Art, and by the way rat terriers got catching and killing rodents on their mind all the time.
<<And by the way you can buy a high powered pellet rifle at Walmart. You need at least 1200 feet per second and it has to be pretty accurate. Don't buy one of the cheap ones.

Art>>

Here's what you need to replace, and greatly improve upon, a dog!

Seattle Pioneer
"Here's what you need to replace, and greatly improve upon, a dog!" Seattle Pioneer

Primates and rodents have been competing and at war since the Miocene 20 million years ago. And since we are just a large primate we are still in competition with and at war with rodents. It is unbelievable how quickly they reproduce and if we don't kill a few every now and then pretty soon we'd be up to our arse in rodents.

Art
Oh dear, all this kerfuffle over squirrels. We have gray and their other color, black. Used to have fox. Red squirrels all gone. I gave up trying to control the bird feeders. I rather like the squirrels and chipmunks and actually, any wildlife is welcome to live on my property (other than raccoons and skunk).

The hawks take care of the squirrel over population, so no need to shoot anything here.

Birgit

I always thought it was interesting that mother rabbits could re-absorb
their young before birth during times of stress.

Dog also resorb puppies. You do an ultrasound before 28 days and there are say eight pups....you do an x-ray at 59 days and only two pups are left. Or none.

Does not happen all the time.....

Birgit
"Oh dear, all this kerfuffle over squirrels. We have gray and their other color, black. Used to have fox. Red squirrels all gone." dolly

The reason the little red squirrels are gone is because they were outcompeted by the gray squirrels. The grey squirrels will actually kill and eat the young from the little red squirrels. Grey squirrels are more aggressive and pretty much win out over red squirrels wherever they share territory.

"Grey squirrels out compete red squirrels
Grey squirrels carry a disease, a Parapoxvirus, which does not appear to affect their health but often kills red squirrels. Grey squirrels are more likely to eat green acorns, so will decimate the food source before reds get to them. ... When red squirrels are put under pressure they will not breed as often."

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2018/11/red-squirrel-f...

These Adorable Squirrels Are Also Baby-Killing Cannibals
Mar 16, 2018 - In a study published this week in The Scientific Naturalist, researchers report that North American red squirrel pups often fall victim to attacks from nearby males. Sometimes these murderous males also eat the youngsters they kill. ... Scientists temporarily removed this squirrel pup from its nest during their research."
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/red-squirrel-inf...

Art

Art
In South America, I think Peru, guinea pigs are raised for their meat.

Yes, guinea pig--"cuy"-- is a delicacy in Peru. And it is quite good.

Re: a later post noting that rabbits can absorb their young before birth: Horses can do it, as well, particularly in extremely hot climates.

Chili