No. of Recommendations: 15
"Previous owner put up a large mirror, four feet wide, 2.5 feet tall on the bathroom wall. They probably used Liquid Nails since there isn't a frame or other way to hang it."

We had such a mirror in a previous residence, except that it was taller and wider. We were renovating, and my wife wanted a somewhat smaller mirror in a frame. Prying the old mirror off the wall didn't seem feasible because there was no space between the sides of the mirror and the adjacent sidewalls, and between the bottom of the mirror and the adjacent top of a thick back-splash. I happened to have some heavy-duty suction cups with handles that I had seen on a bargain table in an Ace Hardware Store, so I offered them to the two big guys who were doing the renovation. They applied the suction cups to the mirror and repeatedly yanked on the handles with greater and greater force until the mirror came free, revealing that it had been stuck to the underlying drywall with several blobs of Liquid Nails. Of course, the weaker drywall had lost the tug-of-war to the stronger blobs of Liquid Nails.

The wall was patched and repainted. Since the plate-glass mirror was undamaged, it was reduced in size, framed with plywood and molding, and rehung.

Mostly lurking,

Ratio ~
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.