Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Pronunciation, like the language itself, is an organic entity that responds to changing environments. It evolves.
sheila"

Sheila is absolutely correct. I have a friend whose last name is Taliaferro. He pronounces it Tolliver or Tollifer. His brother's wife pronounces it Tall - ee - a - ferro. I asked him once which was correct. He said it depended on the circumstances. He said that it probably got changed to the Tollifer pronunciation in England around the time of Cromwell, when romance sounding names weren't too popular, particularly if the named indviduals were Catholic. In Virginia, from whence his family came, he says it's usually pronounced Tallifer. On the other hand, when his Virginia born and raised lawyer grandfather moved from Green River, Wyoming to Rock Springs, Wyoming around 1900, it got changed to the sister in law pronunciation, and his grandfather didn't correct anyone, since he wanted the Italian clients (Rock Springs was and is a community of diverse ethnic origins). When you call the Taliaferro County courthouse in Taliaferro County, Georgia, the receptionist answers the phone "Tallifer County" with a very distinctive Southern accent.

And so it goes; "you say tomato and I say tomaato."

Cal
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.