Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
""Basically," said (Duke)sophomore Jason Ritchie of Chicago, "basketball is just another reason to feel we're better than everyone else on the planet."
--Neal Rubin, Detroit Free Press

"They're lightning rods, a college basketball phenomenon unlike any other. Look at it this way: They represent a snooty private school, not a big State U. They don't have a bazillion living alums."
--Bob Lipper, Richmond Times Dispatch

"As Redick runs back down the floor, the cocky sharp-shooter nods his head, exuding the "Duke mentality," which I define as their notion that "We're better than you, and Coach K has molded us into great players and quality human beings while running the perfect college basketball program."
--Jacob Bressler, Daily Illini

"Coach does a really good job of letting the kids know they're the Sixth Man," says Scott Yakola, Duke's director of sports promotions. As for the coach's effect on the students, Yakola says, "He could take a dump on a plate and serve it to them, and they'd love it."
--Chris Ballard, SI.com

"I am a leader who happens to coach basketball," Krzyzewski says in the ad. "When they get out into the workplace, they're armed with not just a jump shot or a dribble. I want you armed for life. I want you to develop as a player. I want you to develop as a student, and I want you to develop as a human being. My life isn't about playing games. That's why my card is American Express."
--Coach K

'I'm biased, but I don't think there is anywhere in the country where fans are this intense about their team,'' Blaum said. ``We're the fans that all the other fans around the country are trying to copy.''
--Ryan Blaum, Duke Student

"He is whiny on the bench. He does come across as smug. And nothing Mike Krzyzewski says or does is going to change that, not when the body of his work is decked out in whininess and smugness"
--Rick Morrissey, Chicago Tribune

BARF ALERT!
"'Coach smiled at me,' Nelson recalled last week. 'I was aglow. I thought, 'He likes me. He can tell I'm a good person.' Then he said I had angelic eyes.'
--DeMarcus Nelson, on Coach K

MEGA BARF ALERT!!
"Steve Wojciechowski, rushing across the court after Duke's 1998 victory over North Carolina, looking for his coach. The coach catching his player's eyes and finding him through a rush of fans streaming on the court to celebrate. Ultimately, the two embrace with tears running down their cheeks, in celebration of the accomplishment and the relationship between coach and player."
This isn't a promo for a Lifetime channel movie of the week. It's a direct quote from the Duke media guide ... and a perfect example of why so many fans love to hate Duke.
--Thomas Neumann, ESPN
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.