No. of Recommendations: 1
""I have to laugh at the 5 year life for a car. I'm a used car kind of guy. I generally buy them when they're 5 years old or so."

Average age of cars on the road last year was 10.8 years.........so lots of folks keep their cars for 2 decades or so.

My 1990 Honda went 17 years and 165,000 miles before I sold it. Still mechanically good but seats definitely worn out, probably could use struts (never changed) and some rubber bushings in the suspension. Maybe $2000 in total repairs whole life - one half axle/CV joint, new muffler/exhaust pipe...... but at 90K miles they replace the timing belt/water pump and that's a lot of $$$.....like $600 if I remember right. Supposed to do it again at 180K miles.

I had a couple LeSabres...drove them to over 200K miles and 8 years and got rid of them. Transmissions went flakey at 200K miles.

Last Malibu went 7 years and 175K miles......traded it in on 2016 Malibu LTD and now 3.5 years old and 106K miles. I'll run it to 180K or 200K miles if no major issues with it - another 3.5 years likely. Just had to replace oxygen sensor ($280) and now need 2 new tires.....

Well, the around town Prius is 12 years old...but just turned 6oK miles.....still going strong...... had to put new HID head light in it....$400...ouch...you've got to take the front end of the car apart to get to it!.......otherwise, good car. It does have a little Gel-Cell battery that only Toyota has in the rear.....$280 to get replaced 2 years ago......another 'ouch'.....lasted 10 years. Stuff happens.

There are a lot of old cars on the road in TX.......they don't rust out. You can tell the older ones when they drive along in summer with their windows down because the a/c gave up the ghost years ago....and it cost more to fix the a/c than the car is worth.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.