Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Seems he was serious, based on the letter. Who knew?"

Or the letter was a CYA move when the lawyers panicked after the tweet.

"If there's a securities violation, the important question will likely be the level of truth
to the assertion in the tweet that they had "funding secured".
I have no reason to doubt that, but he'd better have some paperwork on that when the SEC comes calling."

Bingo. If there is trouble in the tweet, it is in the "funding secured" part. If funding wasn't really secured (and that is easy to check) then the SEC should take issue with this.

What I find most interesting is the small buyout premium to price.

If I was a shareholder who truly believed that Tesla was the next big thing and was going to dominate cars, trucks, self-driving, and battery technology in the future then the buyout price is absurdly low. That said, shareholders can't really crow about selling their shares at a premium either because the premium was ridiculously low for the risk they were taking on.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.