Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a postdoctoral researcher at a government laboratory. I am considered a self-employed guest researcher for tax purposes. I receive a stipend from a government agency and they also pay for my health insurance. On my form 1099-MISC, they reported my stipend plus the amounts they paid for health insurance and for my moving costs. I know I can deduct the moving costs on my 1040, but can I subtract them from my self-employment income (schedule C) as well? What about the health insurance costs?

Also, I did independent consulting work out of my apartment for three months last year. Do I deduct the fraction of rent that went toward my office from my 1040 Schedule C? Finally, can I deduct the cost of books purchased for my job? What about a computer purchased for my 3-month consulting work (I needed a faster computer to do the work) and used 90% for business during those 3 months? Any help would be appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.