Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
"Showing my age. I remember being at my Grandmothers house when Dr Porter would show up to do a house call. And he literally carried a little black bag with his examination equipment in it. "

That was about all there was to the technology.

Half the drugs hadn't been invented yet.

Your doc couldn't schedule an MRI or CAT scan to see what was going on. Likely give you some pills or prescription IF he could diagnose what your problem was.

Oh, maybe if you stopped by the office, they could do an EKG back then. Tell if you had a heart attack, but the 'cure' was bed rest and taking it easy for a couple months. No stents, no bypass surgery, no heart views to see what was going on. No catherization. Oh, the best they could do was nitro pills for 'angina'.

For kids it was measles or mumps or chicken pox...

Yeah, if you're 'sick' they tell you to do a video visit, after getting a COVID test. They check the temp of everyone entering the medical building.....and ask if you have any 'symptoms'. wasn't that way 2 years ago, though. Just walk in.

I don't event think they did blood checks 50-60 years ago as part of routine physical......

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.