Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"So it really is too late? I am destined to have diabetes, not matter what I do? So I may as well give up now.

Why would you give up? Those of us who do have diabetes haven't.

I meant, if there is no chance of avoiding diabetes, then why bother *trying* to avoid it? Anyway, when I wrote that, I was feeling down, but I feel a little bit better now.

In February, I got some routine bloodwork done & had a fbg of 101...not terrible, but not good news, either.

Maybe I am missing something. That's well within normal range.

According to my doctor, that makes me Pre-Diabetic. I basically have to eat as if I was diabetic, in order to avoid actually getting that disease & also it's complications. Does this make sense with what you know? Is it time to look for a more knowledgable doctor?

492dea"

I have to say that this all seems a little silly. whatever you do will affect how many years you have left on the planet, whether you are pronounced guilty of diabetes or not or are forever "pre-diabetic" or not. forget the numbers, get some self control, and learn about eating smart. living on hamburgers is crazy, independent of whether you are diabetic or not, it will shorten your life. you don't have to give up hamburgers or fried chicken or ice cream or whatever, you can eat whatever you like, you just have to take control, of your portions and of your balance of healthy things with the 'sinful' things you partake of on occasion. if you are someone who feels abused if they don't have dessert at every meal and swears up and down when offered a large helping of vegetables that isn't swimming in butter, then you are going to die younger, whether you get diabetes or not. you have the ability to obtain knowledge about healthy eating and use that knowledge to improve your health and extend your life. the knowledge is power. the refusal to obtain knowledge and continuing to dither and whine about "eating like a diabetic" is stupidity. i am sorry for being frank, but the issue isn't really the numbers, the issues are the values and mindset you have the power to choose. good luck.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.